Subsurface 4.0 has been released December 16, 2013Posted by tumaix in planetkde-tomazcanabrava, uncategorized.
With version 4.0 we switched to Qt as our UI toolkit. This caused the need to do a complete rewrite of a large chunk of the Subsurface code base. We decided to keep much of the logic and core of the existing code around, but used the opportunity for quite a bit of cleanup and many improvements.
The basic concepts are the same, most of the basic features are the same, but trying to create a concise list of changes that summarizes the more than 1600 commits that have gone in since version 3.1 seems a daunting task.
Here are some of the highlights:
- new map widget with a spinning globe to visualize dive locations ( Thanks Marble Team)
- much more “native” look and feel under Windows and Mac ( Thanks to Qt )
- ability to edit dives “in place”: simply click on an entry in the Dive Notes or Equipment tabs to start editing
- more data about each dive is presented in the Dive Notes and can be edited without separate dialogs and without having to go through context menues
- graphical editor for dive profiles for manually added dives
- better information overlay for the dive profile
- addition of a “ruler” tool in the profile window that allows measuring of many properties between two points in the profile
- better tag system with both predefined user-specified free text tags
- better integration with divelogs.de (upload & download support)
- ability to show the user manual from within the application without a life internet connection and without opening the manual in an external browser window
- better statistics (with per-trip statistics available)
As always in a massive rewrite like this, there are still a small handful of known bugs and issues — please check the ReleaseNotes and our bug tracker. The two biggest missing features (compared to 3.1.1) are
- Filter->Select Events is not implemented
- Dive planner has been disabled for now